Friday, June 8, 2012

The Key

I'm starting a new painting. I'm calling it The Key. Its kind of a view through the hole of a key, probably into the heart. It looks into the faded memories and dreams of the past. If you look at the small key in the picture you can see that it is the same as the bordering edges of the painting. 

In the the photo shop image mash up, you see faded photos and old journals and a trunk or old diary and a lighthouse, always a symbol of hope and light. There is a chair because it is a place at rest not anxiety. Places that are healed but not forgotten.

I think it will be a series of three paintings but I don't know what the other two will be yet. They are not likely to emerge until this one is completed. I'm not sure why these images demand to be painted but I suppose I will simply let them speak in their own way. I never know who my art will touch. Some things can be expressed better without words. I'm sure it is in many ways me working to reconcile the past that I have suppressed for far too long. Oh well, it should make an intriguing painting.

My board is not quite square so I think there will be some sort of verse at the bottom. Perhaps this one from Isaiah 33:6
"He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure."

In my brain there are the overlapping melodies of the old Jim Croce songs Time in A Bottle and Photographs and Memories. Sappy - but there is something in the mash up of the music in my head that is as important as the mash up of the images. They some how fit together. I would not bother to try and make it all fit in a neat box tied with a bow of complete understanding. I certainly have not managed to do that at this point. Call it an idea for a painting and I suppose each viewer will make of it what they will. I'm ok with that.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your latest creation!

Margot said...

Thanks Unknown,
If I knew who you were I could try to make sure that you get to see it.
I'll be posting up dates here as it progress. So check back. Thanks for the comment too.