Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Watts Towers

Today I went to the Watts Towers - They are simply amazing. I am on vacation and will have photos to add to this post when I get home. I think what was most astounding to me was that one little guy, Simon Rodia wanted to build something big. He worked a job all day and then came home and spent his evenings and weekends for 30 years building his work of art. Using simple hand tools and wire mesh and coat hanger like wire and cement and steel rods and lots and lots off glass tile and other found materials he worked all by himself to build his towers.

I thought it was funny when I was asked where I would like to go that some of my relative laughed that I would want to go see the Watts Towers. My dad and his wife were very gracious to take me on this little adventure. I was not sure what we would find. Some thought the place had been torn down. I wondered if we would find the place in shambles. I was so pleased to find the towers not only being preserved but a art center had been build near by with galleries, artists in residence, class rooms, a community garden. What one man spent year building all by him self has been maintained by many people through the years who have fought to preserve and support the towers.

I often think about people who speak long after their days on this earth are finished. Musicians, and writers, artists, people who were part of making great changes. Today I met another such person in Simon Rodia. He was an Italian immigrant, who did not have and abundance of money.
He worked all day as a cement finisher and tile maker and came home and worked on his project. Little by little day by day, year after year he created. He did not come home and watch tv or play on his computer - he worked on his art. He had no great advantage of position, power, family, or even training. He worked his way across the country as a young man and learned to work with cement and tile at his jobs. He worked hard. Its not just a collection of random stuff. There is remarkable beauty and design. It is hard to find the words to express the impact that it had on me today as I walked around in the completed vision of a fellow mosaic artist.
What legacy will I have to leave? When Simon started his work he was about my age. What will I accomplish of lasting value in the next 30 years?

This is truly a treasure that one really should experience first hand. I will post photos but they will not do justice to this remarkable work of art.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....