Saturday, June 16, 2012

Both Sides Now


Today I realized that I was not happy with the sky on the Key painting. You could tell I had painted it after the lighthouse.
So I decided to try masking things out with blue painters tape. I think the sky in the second picture is much improved. I tried to do fluffy clouds but did not like them and decided to go with the streaky sky look. 

So the song that came to mind today was Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell 

"I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all"

I have to agree with here sentiment - I really don't know clouds at all. I will have to find a cloud tutorial or something cause I could not seem to paint them into.....

"Bows and flows of angel hair And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere"
Maybe I can find some help on youtube. For now I'm happy with the sky for this painting. I also worked on the top edge of the surrounding key. It now has more substance and dimension. 

I got a message today that the River Walk painting has arrived in San Antonio, Texas.  Perfect timing since the much of the family is gathering for Father's Day. Eleanore said she would send me some photos of the unveiling event.

No comments: